Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Week 1

My first day on campus consisted of actually waking up on time so I wouldn’t be late for class. Now I should have been responsible by knowing what time to get on the shuttle bus and knowing where my classes were located. I realized the value of having my friends on campus with me. I didn’t know where I was going, but I was lucky because my friends would show me the way.

Walking in to college 101 for the first time didn’t scare me one bit. I felt like I already knew what was going to be expected of me and I was prepared for it. Walking in to English 1200 for the first time was a different story. I arrived to class a half an hour early and sat and waited for the teacher, I wondered what this teacher would be like, what were her expectations, and more importantly, could I meet them? Then she came in; she was a tall woman with dreads tied up in a pony tail that can reach half way down her back. I could tell that she had confidence in herself by the way she spoke with such clear diction. Her name was Helen Fountain.

English 1200 has given me the opportunity to experience a legit college class. We had the assignment of writing a close to perfect essay about a literacy narrative in less than a week. Before this assignment was due we had to start our next essay about a gender narrative. While writing theses essays we also have reading assignments that we are expected to do every night.

I learned that everything over laps in college. College doesn’t baby anyone, but challenges everyone. No one cares about your grade except yourself. I have to prioritize my schedule just to fit in my school work. I learned that black coffee is your best friend especially when you’re staying up till 3:40am, just trying to finish an essay. I realized that working out has to be before class or it will not get done. Walking is another one of my best friends, when you don’t have a car for transportation and are trying to avoid the freshmen 15.

I think that I have become more responsible just in this last week because I was accountable for everything I did. I was held to expectations and wasn’t babied along the way but figured everything out for myself. I feel that I have a pretty good idea what college life will throw at me next year and I’ll be ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment