Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Connections

Life can be a challenge for anyone who lets it. People can choose to overcome it or let the challenges overcome them. I believe that involvement in activities can directly correlate to ones success. I gave a persuasive speech in English class last year on whether or not involvement in high school was vital to getting good grades, trying to persuade that it was vital. Being involved not only helps out others but it also helps you. I discovered this through getting involved in my high school through sports, extracurricular activities, and the honor programs.

I have participated in school volleyball and track for over three years now. I was elected captain of my high school and club volleyball team. Being involved in school gives me connections that not every other student has. I know the majority of students at my school because I am involved in various sports. For example, some might consider volleyball a white girl sport and some might consider track a black persons sport, so being involved in both activities I have learned to be very adaptable when I am around a different group of people.

Sports are fun and all but it’s always good to take a step back from all the excitement and go behind the scenes to help make things happen. Prom is a perfect time to help out. I was on the prom committee last year. I was part of team that worked together for one common goal, ‘make prom great.’ Teamwork is important for almost any task you do not do alone. Mastering the task of team work is something I have achieved through events such as prom committee where we are working with limited time to achieve one goal, make prom great. Then there is Principle advisory where we brain storm on how things in the school should be fixed. Picking up Fontenelle Park was hard work but was accomplished by the system we used to bag leaves the fastest. There are many more activities that I have done to help me build effective teamwork skills.

The honor programs school offers are free chances to get experience. National Honors Society was designed to select an elite group of students that are going to make something out of their lives. Student Council is a great opportunity to have a say in what is going on around the student body and help make a difference for the better. Getting selected for these leadership committees makes me think if I am a leader in high school, when I get to college the possibilities are endless.

I was given many opportunities and had the chance to turn them all down but instead I accepted everyone and would go out and look for more ways I could get involved. Working with students my age gives me an advantage because we will be following each other throughout the rest of our lives and if anyone of us ever need a hand out in life I know one of the many friends will be there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment