Saturday, June 12, 2010

College Life 101

For the past week I have been living in Scott Residence Hall along with 44 other students. During this time we experienced many challenges and it was up to us on whether we overcome them. Summer scholars has given me the opportunity that has prepared me for college life. I have faced reality just like every other college student out there. From meeting new people for the first, to balancing work and school, and actually getting the full college experience by working and playing hard.

Day one of Summer Scholars I probably knew around five people at most, out of the 45 students. By the end of the five days that we lived together I had made 40 new friends. I went from seeing everyone as a big group of students that happened to be in the same program as me, to knowing each one as an individual and built trust with everyone. I would have not been as close with these students if it was not for the high ropes course that we did at Camp Carol Joy Holling. These rope courses gave me the opportunity to build trust with everyone in the program. We were 50ft in the air together and given the challenge to get to the other end of various obstacles. This could not be accomplished unless complete team work was used. Through this experience I have gained trust with all of Summer Scholars 2010.

Everyday we spent on campus was packed full of fun. There was always an activity going on; form sand volleyball, to basketball in your flip flops, lounging around the dorms with each other, having a water balloon fight, dancing all night, to meeting doctors, there was never a dull moment on campus. Our days were packed full with activities and we barely had enough time to do our homework. We were now in college and realized we had to step up and be accountable for our own actions. This meant turning down a game of volleyball in order to write your 1200 word essay. Summer Scholars let me experience the temptation first hand, so that when I go to college next year temptations will not be an issue because I have already faced them and overcome them.

The college experience is important for every college student. You do not want to work too hard and not have enough time to play and you do not want to be overloaded with playing/parting that you do not have enough time to do your work. Through summer scholars I experienced working and playing hard, the perfect balance. The students selected for this program are people that are going to make something out of themselves. I was surrounded by positive influences all day. People were always asking me if I got my homework done and if I wanted to study with them. We would have reading sessions where we’d go outside and everyone would take a turn reading a page. After the work was over we would all go play a game of volleyball, RTA’s against students.

Summer Scholars has given me a once in a life time opportunity, to experience college before I get there. I felt like a legit college student when I was walking on campus and people would ask me my major. I was treated like a college student therefore I acted like one. When I go to college next fall I will be ready for any challenges that get thrown at me. Summer Scholars has upped my immune system, from the time I entered into Scott hall to the day I left I have become a stronger person and one step closer to receiving my degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment