Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Qualifications

Gaining a full ride scholarship to college is a dream come true for many college students. Everyone is given the opportunity to live this dream, but few will take advantage of it. My dream goes beyond the scholarship, and past my degree; it does not stop, but only continues on after I leave. My dream is to make a difference in this world by helping others help others. As a physical therapist I am going to help those who are injured surpass the strength level they had before their incident. I am becoming a physical therapist not for the title but for the reward of knowing I have changed lives for the better. I have not lived long but I know the time I have lived has prepared me for the future. My teacher once told me, “If you do not know what you value are, then you will fall for anything.” I know what I value; responsibility, teamwork, and involvement.
Average student would not be a word to describe me. Having a single mother as a full time student with eight children, has taught me tremendous responsibility skills that I use to my advantages. My mom can’t always be there; therefore I have learned to be my own advocate. I want to become a physical therapist, so I have called schools up such as UNMC, Iowa State, UNO, Creighton and asked about their; job shadowing program, volunteer program, and Under graduate inter program. If I cannot find an answer to my questions I use my resource; calling, e-mail and,google. I am a very affectionate person, but then again I have to be. While my mother is in school I provide respite care for my 25yr old brother, David. This means my schedule is scheduled around his, which has taught me to be an excellent organizer. Along with David I have three little brothers that live at home with me and are involved in various sports that I drive them to. For example, last year I had to give up two of my classes at the end of the day in order to pick David and my little brothers up from. school, take them home, and drive back to school so I could make it to my track practice on time. Some might think I have a challenging life but I would not trade it for anyone’s because it has molded me into the person I am today.
Teamwork is skill that has given me huge advantages in life. I was elected captain of my Volleyball team by my teammates because of my great teamwork ability. I can be in any situation, with any group of people and still work together as a team with them. For example, during the Summer Scholars 2010 program I was 50 feet up in the air with 15 students I had never met before. We had various challenges we had to complete but the challenges could only be accomplished by using complete teamwork. I run the 4x8m relay for my school and before we run I go around and tell everyone that they’re going to run great and ask them what their goals are. Teamwork is everything I do and will help me out in college when it comes to having study sessions with my fellow class mates and getting involved.
I believe Involvement is vital to student’s success. Just this last year I have realized all the opportunities out there for students that can make their experiences all the better. For example, just this last year I have joined; Prom Committee, Student Council, Principle Advisory, Conflict Managers, and a National Honors Society, Officer. Since I have been Involved in these programs I have made more friends and exposed myself to different fields of interest. I am also a current volunteer for Blair Special Olympics that I take my brother to. Being involved in Special Olympics has given me the opportunity to experience first hand working with those who go to Physical Therapists.
Nobody’s life is easy, but that’s the definition of life and that’s what I love about it. I love having a challenge star at you for days, and that one day I overcome it just means the world to me. I have had a few challenges in my life but nothing I could not handle. I believe that nothing in life is given to you but everything is earned. All the skills I have I believe have been earned by life struggles. I know I will make my way through college and I know if I earn your scholarship I will surpass the goals of what you ever thought your money could possibly do. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely

Sharon Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment